Homework Exercise #8 :
You are a Graphic Designer working for the Graphic Design studio. Your Art Director has asked you to create a logo for a non-profit organization. Through symbols or typographic manipulation the logo needs to visually communicate and tell a story about the organization.
The logo needs to be developed in black and white only.
1. Review the three different ways to approach a typographic logo...
Each approach focuses on creating a unique image to represent the client.
A logotype, or wordmark consists of the company or product name depicted in a unique style. Strategies for creating unique or original designs might include:
expressive typographytype forms which have been altered or manipulated to create visual interest or impact.
unique letterformshand-lettered or drawn characters.
accentssymbols or images incorporated in a logotype.
have been redrawn to represent a circuit board.
has been manipulated to become part of a symbol.
The letterforms have
been altered and given accents to symbolize pillars.
Letterforms have been redrawn and given accents to suggest "water".
This logo contains a symbol which illustrates the word.
Initial / Symbol
Logo designs based on company initials help the audience remember the company name. In order to be a memorable, initial logos are made distinct or unique by:
- incorporating a symbol.
- using a visual analogy.
- being redrawn or
altered in a meaningful way.
This logo incorporates
a symbol which represents something about the business. Since it
replaces a part of the letterform, it becomes a visual analogy.
In this logo, the
letterform has been redrawn to represent a lowercase "g" as well
as a cap "S".
Logos which combine the strategies listed above can contain more depth of meaning and be more memorable.
have been replaced with a symbol in this unique logotype. Note how the baseline
is cropped to suggest shallow water.
2. Research non-profit organizations, choose one to re-design and determine the story to visually communicate.
3. Sketch as many ideas possible using the techniques outlined above. It you create a initial symbol, you will need to include the name of the company.
4. Develop your design and provide a PDF for critique in class.
5. After the critique, make the necessary changes. Revisions are due the beginning of the following class. Package native files with a PDF and place on the server space provided.