ADDY Awards preparations
You are a graphic designer student and need to build your personal brand prior to graduation. The local Advertising Federation awards competition is an excellent opportunity.
Why should you participate?
- You will become more comfortable with the local industry, and beyond
- If you win awards, they look good in your portfolio and resume
- This process will preparate you for:
- Your grad show branding
- Your portfolio
How to the ADDYs work?
- There are a lot of categories. You will have better odds in the lesser populated ones.
- Judges will be from outside this market. They will likely be creative directors or designers.
- They have to review hundreds of entries over a weekend; they will have little time for each one.
Imagine how to best impress the judges
- Go to the ADDY site and view past student winners.
- Also review the professional winners; they are listed by categories
- Typography - judges love innovative type Concepts that are clear and clever
- Unique, unexpected, provocative concepts and visuals
- Craftsmanship. Drawing, photography, typography, design principles
- When appropriate, a very short design brief statement to explain how your work solved a problem
Sort your best work
- Review everything you have; make laser prints of the candidates
- Sort out your strongest work; identify strengths, identify what needs improvement
- Prioritize the work
- Decide how many entries you will submit
Get to work
- If available, read the Ad Fed entry rules (or read last year's)
- Review your collection with your instructors
- Prioritize your pieces
- Identify the category you are entering
- Review your choice and entry strategy with your instructors
- Begin your final revisions
- Submit the revisions to your instructors for approval
- Create the final entry materials
- Make arragngements to submit the entry; if possible attend the entry party