SFCC graduation / commencement
You are a soon to be a graduate of the SFCC Graphic Design program. The graduation committee at Spokane Falls Community College has asked that you design a cover for the graduation booklet / graduation ceremonies.
The copy for the Graduation Cover design is as follows:
The Next Wave
The cover size is 5.5" wide x 8.5" height, CMYK, paper stock (100lb cover weight)
The back cover can also be part of the overall design (spread size = 11"wide x 8.5" height)
Image Resolution = 300ppi
Printer = National Color Graphics (Bill Burnett)
Paper = 11" X 8.5" with BLEED / Folds in half / 100# cover, coated (front / back cover)
Color = CMYK
Download Logo for back cover.
Add on the back cover:
Design: Firstname_Lastname, SFCC Graphic Design Student
Contact(s): Connie Pittman (email@example.com)
Laura Mincks, CCS Graphic Designer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Working with the art director you will need to create a minimum of 5 concepts. The art director will sign off on three of the thumbnail sketches to create into rough designs. You will then develop 3 tight roughs of the designs, to determine the final design direction.
- Research graduation events and ceremonies online. Collect samples and assemble a mood board which includes:
- color palette
- typography choices
- Create thumbnails meeting the following criteria:
- show five different concepts
- create composition variations for each concept
- are fast and un-detailed
- are drawn in proportion to the dimensions of the finished piece
- communicate a minimum of three different creative concepts
- that show variations of each creative concept
- show emphasis, balance, unity, rhythm
- convey composition, sizing and position
- show general shapes of graphic elements (images, text, etc.)
- display readable headline type
- Submit thumbnails for design direction on or before the deadline date.
- Develop three roughs from the thumbnails selected by your art director that meet the following criteria:
- drawn in proportion or actual size for final product
- indicating headline type choice (typeface, case, type style, etc)
- indicating text size, spacing, leading and shape
- indicating usage of color and value
- indicating photographic or illustrative content
- are computer generated
- accompanied by printed samples of chosen headline and text type
- Submit 3 roughs for design direction on or before deadline date.
- Develop the final design from the selected rough.
- Submit final design in PDF format on or before the deadline date.