GRDSN 175 Adobe After Effects
Welcome to the After Effects course
You will be working through the lessons in Abobe's Classroom in a Book for After Effects. The 14 lessons are grouped into 5 project groups to simplify file management. You will submit a project file for each lesson and complete a quiz using the Canvas Learning System.
The resource files for the lessons are provided on a DVD disk attached to the book's back cover. If you are working in the CBE labs you can find these files stored on the AVA Disiplines>GRDSN>Self-paced_resources folder. Every Macintosh in the lab has a link to AVA Disciplines on the Desktop.
HOW TO PROCEED
For lessons 1 through 14, follow the instructions in the Adobe Classroom in a Book for After Effects, CC.
Do the exercises in each lesson. As you save your work include your name in the file name. You will be turning in the exercises' final movie (.mov) files and taking a quiz in Angel for each lesson.
How to turn in your lessons
The After Effects files contain very large video files that are too large to send through the Angel system, as we do with the other self-paced courses. You will turn in your files to the Dropoff folder in the GRDSN 175 folder in the AVA Classes server.
Important! Turn in your final project movie.
We need the final movie files turned in; your After Effects project file (.aep) will not display.
Please be sure you include your name in the file and folder names so we can identify your work. If you are working from off-campus and cannot visit the lab to turn in your work, contact your instructor and make other arrangements.
Save your work in a safe location as you work through this course; the campus network, DVD disks, or cloud storage are secure. Thumb drives and home computer hard drives seem to fail all too often, so keep backups.
If space is an issue, you can delete the Sample Movies and End_Project_Files for each lesson; be sure you retain the Assets folders or the projects will not display.
Take the quizzes
Go to the Assignments section in Canvas and take the project quiz. You are allowed to retake the quizzes only twice. You might review and print the quiz before starting the project and locate the answers as you work.
Objectives for Lesson 1:
- Create a project and import footage
- Create compositions and arrange layers
- Navigate the interface
- Use the Project, Composition, and Timeline panels
- Apply basic keyframes and effects
- Preview your work using standard and RAM previews
- Customize the workspace
- Adjust preferences related to the user interface
- Find additional resources for using After Effects
Objectives for Lesson 2:
- Use Adobe Bridge to preview and import footage items
- Work with the layers on an imported Adobe Illustrator file
- Apply drop-shadow and emboss effects
- Apply a text animation preset
- Adjust the time range of a text animation preset
- Precompose layers
- Apply a dissolve transition effect
- Adjust the transparency of a layer
- Render an animation for broadcast use
- Export an animation in SWF format for the web
Objectives for Lesson 3:
- Create and animate text layers
- Stylize text using the Character and Paragraph panels
- Animate text using animation presets
- Preview animation presets in Adobe Bridge
- Customize an animation preset
- Animate text using keyframes
- Animate layers using parenting
- Edit and animate imported Adobe Photoshop text
- Use a text animator group to animate selected characters on a layer
- Apply a text animation to a graphic object
- Import SWF files
- Export a project for further work in Adobe Flash