1st Quarter: Scanning Line Art Exercise
After reading "Dreaming in Black and White" you will be able to scan and create line art.
Create a Holiday Card
1. Using a Sharpie Fine Point Marker... hand draw a favorite quote or create an illustration of your choice.
2. Using a scanner, scan the image with the following settings:
a. 8 bit grayscale
b. 1200 dpi
3. Open the file in Photoshop
4. Run the Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask filter
5. Run the Image>Adjustments>Threshold command
6. Run the Image>Mode>Bitmap command
Set the output to 1200ppi and toggle on the method dialog box, set to:
50% threshold level.
7. Save as a .tiff or .psd file
8. Create an 8.5" (height) x11" (wide) Adobe InDesign Document, set the margins to "0".
9. Use a vertical guide line to indicate the center of the document... at 5.5"
10. Use a horizontal guide line to indicate the "fold"... at 4.25"
11. These guidelines will be used for "imposition" and printing two cards up.
12. Place your file into the document below the horizontal guide line.
13. Colorize the line art using a pantone spot colors or cmyk, by dragging and dropping the color onto the line art.
14. Package your .INDD file along with a PDF for review in your technology folder on TEMP.